Pain is temporary, failure lasts forever

Lean, agile living for the running mother of Peter

2007-05-17

No bagels, so how about some ducks?

I didn't win the lottery. In January, I thought: why not runt New York Marathon? Never done a full marathon outside Stockholm (I've only run Stockholm...) so why not combine two of my passions: New York bagels and running? Well, if it would have been that easy. I am not alone. So I had to rely on the lottery and I had a one in four chance. Didn't count on the odds, so I started thinking: where will I run if I don't win in the lottery? My options are Amsterdam, Berlin and Beijing. Dutch, german or Chinese? I leaning on the Peking duck and I will probably have made up my mind this week, when I talked to my boss about the much needed Autumn break for the scrum master in question.

I sometimes wonder who continues running or exercising through out their lives? Why ha´ve I continued? In my case, I can't blame my upbringing. My parents (forgive me mom and dad) are not the athletic types, to put it mildly, and I didn't move voluntarily for the first 25 years of my life. But now I've been active for almost ten years. So, why has this come about? I think the answer in my case can be found in the NY M story: when there was a pretty good chance I wouldn't be able to race: I found an option. Not running at all was not an option. The same during my pregnancy: when the doctors said no more running I started counting when I could resume my habits and I stuck to that plan. I find that people who talk more about starting exercising or worse: why they stopped exercising, are very good at finding these reasons and whynots. If they just used 10% of the time they spend whining doing something proactive instead, the sky would be the limit. If they just didn't stop at the first obsticle and instead tried forseeing it and figuring out an option, space would be the final frontier!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home