Pain is temporary, failure lasts forever

Lean, agile living for the running mother of Peter

2007-07-13

Beginner's guide to running, part 1

Today, I had my first 10k run for 1,5 months. I've let my knee recover slowly and then I fell into the comfort zone: just being out for 25 mins is easy. So, I was planning on one of those shorties when I just fell in love with running again. It was pouring out and I just loved it. So instead of 25 mins it became 50 mins. And during that time, I decided on a summer project for my blog. A beginner's guide to running. From a beginner to another. What did she write: beginner! She'd run two full marathons. She's no beginner. I beg to differ. I started running 2001 and for all you runners, that means that I'm still a beginner. So here goes; the confessions of the accidental runner.

Step one - making the decision
To become a runner, you have to decide that you want to be a runner. People who "start running" are also the people who stop running. I see them every spring. I don't see them as often during the later parts of spring. Some of them pop up the first weeks of summer vacations, but they are often just seen once or twice.

Man is made to run, so it should be easy to become a runner, but most people spend all their time unmaking themselves natural runners so it becomes hard, especially if they start after 30. It takes lots of effort, and determination. Priorities. (If you want some inspiration about making these kinds of decisions, I can recomend Seth Godin's The Dip. Wonderful read. A must for you who seem to collect the remains of abandoned hobbies in the closet)

So, you have to make the decision. I'm going to be a runner. I will spend X mins, Y times a week running. The X should be 30 and Y 3. You need to spend 30 minutes, three times a week running. If it's raining, you either run another day, or you run in the rain. I prefer running when it's raining. Lots of oxygene and no strollers. If you wake up one morning and don't feel like running that day, then you have to run another day. It is as simple as that. If you can't commit to that you won't be a runner. Did you make it through the first part, the next should be a blast!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home