Pain is temporary, failure lasts forever

Lean, agile living for the running mother of Peter

2007-08-26

Scrum family?

On the skeptic forum I visit, I've been part of a discussion regarding the affect of siblings on one's personality. I've always been quite good at fingering a person's position (eldest, youngest, middle), but I've never seen this as something scientific. Well, the discussion got me thinking about our scrum team and how the tightness has made us almost like a "family" in behavior and roles. And perhaps that makes us behave quite differently to each other than we would ordinary colleagues. For better, and for worst.

When I tried explaining to my therapist how we worked, he was amazed that we were trying this without professional consulting (and why wouldn't he, offering professional services ask this?). So, what is the actual difference between a family and a team (besides from the time of day/week we spend together). The likenesses are many. For example:
  • You cant choose all your team/family members. Some you have chosen. Some not.
  • You spend a lot of time together and are very dependant on the others for your own success with your tasks
  • Arguments over cleaning: what is enough, who's going to do it and who pulls all weight. And with cleaning in a development project you can also apply this to testing and fixing bugs and other "boring" tasks
I could go on for ages, but after starting thinking about this, I can say that many of the books I've read about family issues can be applied to our team. So, perhaps we have a scrum family instead of a scrum team. That is SO post-agile...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home